Why is water damage more prone to happen in the old city of St. Augustine?
How does water damage happen?
Water damage describes various possible losses caused by water intruding where it will enable attack of a material or system by destructive processes such as rotting of wood, mold growth, bacteria growth, rusting of steel, swelling of composite woods, de-laminating of materials such as plywood, short-circuiting of electrical devices, etc.
Water damage can quickly turn from a small issue into a huge problem. The longer it is left to sit, the more damage it can do, leading eventually to mold. The reason that you need to act quickly when it comes to water damage is because every hour that passes, the water damage is getting significantly worse. The most common source of water entering a home is through a damaged roof or malfunctioning gutters. Because of this, your attic is at the highest risk for water damage to occur.
There are a whole lot of issues that cause water damage, some sudden and some over time. Here is a list.
- Flooding of any kind.
- Inclement weather, especially if you have small cracks in the roof or if severe winds blow out a window or a related fixture.
- Leaks of any kind. These are especially dangerous as the leaks often occur behind the walls, leading to copious damage before it is noticed. Common leak sources include rusty and corroded pipes, high water pressure, extreme temperatures, broken water connectors, and more.
- Sewage back up coming from your pipes and pouring out through your water fixtures.
- Clogged gutters clog up the drains over time, leading to water damage.
- Faulty or malfunctioning appliances like washing machines, dishwasher, and air conditioners.
How Bad Is Water Damage?
There’s no easy way around this. Water damage is bad and leads to all kinds of related consequences. First of all, there’s the water damage itself, which damages building materials, appliances, fixtures, and furniture as it sits and pools, with electronics being especially susceptible to damage. Also, mold thrives with water damage, and is a particular concern when the moisture hides behind walls and in other difficult-to-reach areas. Even scarier? Depending on where the water came from, water damage leads to health concerns, as sitting water often features all manner of germs and bacteria.
St. Augustine has many water damages being that it is the oldest city, so some homes, properties and buildings have old pipes or old structure that is weaker than average. With structure being old it has also been weathered as we quite frequently get large storms with massive amounts of rainfall as well as coastal flooding. Although St. Augustine is more likely to have a water damage the SERVPRO of St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, S. Nocatee and World Golf Village is here to make them like they never happened. Our Franchise offers 24/7 emergency services within water damages and it's something our team specializes in and has years of experience! Call our team today if you have any questions, would like a free estimate or want to become our partner! (904)-429-4457