Keep Your St. Augustine Home Fire-Free This Holiday Season!
While house fires can happen any time of year, the holiday season can introduce new hazards that can increase the risk of fire. From decorations to cooking mishaps, many dangers can arise as you prepare for the festivities.
From 2014-2018 the National Fire Protection Association reports that U.S fire departments were called to an average of 172,900 home structure fires due to cooking disasters, with the number of home fires caused by cooking peaking at an average of 470 fires each day. With the holiday season approaching, SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine/ St. Augustine Beach is here to offer some cooking fire safety tips to keep you, your family, and your home safe this Thanksgiving!
1. Never leave food unattended on a range or cooktop. That’s where 61 percent of home cooking fires start.
2. Never cook on the stovetop when you are sleepy or intoxicated.
3. Use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking.
4. Keep anything flammable – potholders, wooden utensils, towels, curtains, food wrapping – away from the stovetop.
5. If you must leave the kitchen for any period of time, turn off the stove.
We know that even with the utmost safety practices, that accidents can still happen. If your home sustains fire damage, the restoration experts at SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine/ St. Augustine Beach can return your home to its former glory. In addition to handling fire damage and restoration, we also handle smoke and mold removal as well as water damage restoration. To learn more about these services or to schedule a free estimate, call our office at 904-429-4457!