Extreme Heat Safety
Did you know: that over the past 30 years, extreme heat has led to more deaths in the United States than other extreme weather events, like hurricanes and floods?
St. Augustine residents are no strangers to the heat that Florida summers bring, but other than the discomfort that comes along with high temperatures, we often forget about the side effects heat can have on our bodies. Heat affects all people, but especially the young, elderly, and sick. As Florida residents, we have a greater chance of being affected due to the high temperatures and humidity. Follow the tips below to protect yourself and your family from the high temperatures:
Prepare Yourself Before Going Outside
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing
- Be sure to apply sunscreen
- Stay hydrated even if you are not thirsty and limit alcohol and caffeine intake on those days.
- Be aware and pay attention to signs of Heat exhaustion
- Keep strenuous activity to a minimum during the hottest parts of the day (11 am-2 pm) and use a buddy system!
- If you must go outdoors, wait until temperatures cool down or stay in a shaded area if at all possible
- Get trained in first aid to learn how to treat heat-related emergencies
- Call 911 if you see someone suffering from a heat emergency!
At SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine/ St. Augustine Beach, we specialize in fire and water restoration and mold remediation. Our highly trained technicians use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your home quickly and safely. We have been serving the residents of St. Augustine and surrounding St. Johns county since 2015. To schedule, a free estimate call us at 904-429-4457!