Summer Grill Safety
As the summer season approaches, it is important to note that the number of grill-related fires will begin to increase, peaking in July. Charcoal and gas grill barbeques are involved in more than 5,000 fires each year. To go along with that, grilling accidents resulted in almost 20,000 trips to the hospital annually.
SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine/ St. Augustine Beach is here to provide some steps and tips that families can use to protect their homes from fire damage and family from injuries. All while still enjoying a cookout and the home grilling that we all love!
- Clean the grill racks and grease trays. When using a gas grill, check the gas tank hose for leaks.
- When setting up your grill, choose a firm, level spot that is safe and far enough away from your home, coolers, children, pets, and guests.
- Always grill outside, never in your garage or near low-hanging trees and branches.
- Be sure to prepare the grill carefully. When using a charcoal grill, use a charcoal chimney with newspaper, charcoal starter fluid, or an electric charcoal starter.
- For gas grills- open the lid before turning the grill on. If you smell gas after the grill is lit, do not try to move it, get away from the grill and call the fire department.
- Establish a safe zone. Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grill while you are cooking, as well as after you serve the food due to the fact that grill surfaces may remain hot for an hour or more.
- Use clean, long-handled grill utensils that are in good condition. Avoid wearing loose-fitting, hanging clothing, and always wear flame-retardant mitts.
- Be sure to keep the flame under control, manage flareups by adjusting the grill height, spreading out the coals, or using the grill controls.
- Keep baking soda within reach in case of grease fires. Also, have a fire extinguisher nearby and watch for blowing embers.
- When you are done grilling, never attempt to move a hot grill.
Homefires can be devastating both finically and emotionally, especially due to the fact that smoke and water damage from putting out the fire, often amplify the destruction to both the structure and the contents.
At SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine/ St. Augustine Beach, we are highly trained professionals that will help you recover from devastating fire & water damage if you do suffer a structure fire, but we believe that prevention is better than a cure. However, we know that accidents happen. That is why our team is ready to respond to your emergency 24/7/365!
SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine/ St. Augustine Beach specializes in water and fire damage clean-up and restoration services for both residential and commercial customers. For more information or to schedule a free estimate, call our office at 904-429-4457!